Skip to content

You are here: Home / FAQs


Here included are some of the questions we have addressed on previous occasions with their respective answers. For any other doubt that may arise do not doubt to contact us at 

We also organize a series of informative sessions at the end of the academic year to meet prospective students and resolve any other enquiries. 


Does the programme include new building construction or is it only directed towards building refurbishment? Are public spaces also included?

The MSc focuses on the existing city with a trans-scalar approach, from an urban perspective, through habitability and energy calculations, to technical construction details. Having said that, the idea is to train students' perception of the city for a sustainable approach, this may sometimes need a specific new construction, a redesign of urban planning or adapting preexistences. The programme is conceived to accompany students’ focus on subjects of their specific interest within the general approach of the masters.

What sort of practical exercises are carried out?

Most of the practical exercises are centred on the case study for each edition, usually a neighbourhood within Barcelona’s metropolitan area, with a range of aspects to work on. Analysis, diagnosis and strategic proposals are devised from the different master courses' points of view and a final group studio offers a cross-thematic approach to the area and existing built environment. Nonetheless, some other case studies are also studied, for example, situations relevant to specific concepts or auto-analysis of student’s dwellings.

Does the Master Thesis need to be about the case study worked on throughout the programme?

The Master Thesis may be a more specific approach to the case study analysed during the whole year. Nevertheless, it may also explore a topic of the student’s choosing not directly related to the master’s case study where some of the discussions worked on during the programme are also applicable.

Does the master give tools for intervention design or just technical teachings?

The master’s programme is conceived from a research, analytical and design point of view. As such, it is not centred on technical specifications although it may include them in specific discussions or exercises. It is not oriented towards energetic certifications or building technicalities but rather a more holistic approach that grounds sustainable design.

What is the needed weekly dedication? Is it possible to course the masters and have a part-time job at the same time?

Teaching hours are distributed along four mornings and two afternoons, which accounts to 18 hours per week. On top of that, there may be eventual organized visits or lectures outside of the regular schedule. To make the most out of the programme, and given the work volume outside teaching hours, we strongly recommend full-time dedication. Nevertheless, is up to students to decide on their spare time. For more information see our specific Calendar and Schedule page.

What level of English/Spanish is required to take the master's degree in said language?

Language fluency is a mandatory requirement. Official certificates (minimum B2), equivalent fluency assessed at acceptance interview, or previous studies in either Spanish or English will all be considered. Both tracks include a fair amount of reading materials and discussion work, as such, knowledge of both languages and any other is required.

Is there a need for prior knowledge of any programme or software?

No specific requirements in such tools are considered; however, as always, the more skills the better. The group work dynamics leads to value joint knowledge as a whole without the need for every student to have skills on all software.

Does the programme have internship agreements established with architecture studios or institutions?

Our school has a pool of offers to formalize educational cooperation agreements, also known as internships, both at professional studios and within the public administration. MISMeC students have the possibility to formalize 600 hours of extracurricular internship agreements during the course. Please note that, in order to formalize an internship agreement, a social security affiliation number is needed and students with foreign nationalities can acquire one with thesis NIE at the TGSS office.

Is there a possibility to study the programme in two years instead of one?

There is the possibility to take the programme at half-speed. Please contact us for more specific information. The recommended itinerary in such cases is usually structured in 3 subjects during the 1st term, design studio during the 2nd, 3 more subjects the following year and the dissertation last.

How and when of pre-enrolment?

Pre-enrolment for the 2022-2023: from mid march until end june. The access requests are made through the pre-enrolment application, which requires you to register as a user when you start the process. The required documentation can be found here and will have to be uploaded through the online platform.  More information on access and admission can be consulted here.

Candidates who are non-residents or non-EU citizens must take into account the deadlines required for visas and academic documentation for their country, which must be legalized through diplomatic channels or with the corresponding apostille for enrolment in September. As such pre-enrolment may have to be before such a deadline. With the admission document, non-EU students can start the visa application procedures that will allow them to stay in our country to study the master's degree program.

If university graduation results are not available at the time of pre-enrollment, do I have to wait for all the documentation to start the process?

No, it is also possible to start the pre-enrollment process without an official degree yet available. Should the platform require to attach the academic transcript and degree, they can be attached as a partial transcript together with a letter of application on a conditional basis explaining the situation. Bear in mind, however, that the official documents need to be available for enrolment in early September, duly translated and legalized if necessary.

Does the portfolio have any specific requirements?

The portfolio has no specifications, it's required to understand the academic and professional trajectory and the capabilities of the applicant. As such, the academic committee values whether the programme can offer the candidate learning possibilities for their specific interests and vice-versa.

Is a letter of recommendation necessary for admission to the programme? 

No, a letter of recommendation is not required. Nevertheless, if applicants consider it should offer relevant information for their case, it may be included and will certainly be considered.

How does the registration of students from other Universities work?

The registration will be done online. Nonetheless, students coming from another University are required to deliver original documentation at the ETSAV secretary’s office and registration will only be definitive once it’s verified. This includes the original and a photocopy or just a certified photocopy (by a notary in Spain or by the diplomatic or consular representations of Spain in the country of the document’s origin). 

Once in Spain, incoming students need to provide the original hard copies at ETSAV’s Academic Secretary (you may request an appointment through the following link)

What documentation is to be presented at the time of enrolment?

For an answer specific to different cases see this link

In general terms, the list needed when registering is the following:

1. ID card or passport.

2. Graduate title or receipt*

3. Official academic certificate, signed or stamped by your University*.

(*) In case there is an authentic digital copy of said documents available (with CSV code), they can be sent by email to and no appointment request is needed.

Approximate price of the master's degree and more information on prices and payment of tuition fees can be found here.

Does the master offer scholarships?

The master's degree does not have its own scholarship program. The scholarship system is national, so candidates should check with the Ministry of Education or equivalent. There are also international scholarships offered by governments or such as those offered by the Ibero-american Postgraduate Association, to which the UPC belongs, or the Santander Iberoamerica program.

Some scholarship programs may require a letter of pre-admission prior to the resolution of the application. Should applicants need it, the program will issue the needed document (valid only for the purpose of processing the scholarship). The letter of admission will be final if the applicant has been admitted to the program and has paid the tuition fee.

For more information on scholarships and international affairs, the specific UPC’s department will be able to give more detailed information:

What are the payment methods available?

Attached here is a link where you can find information regarding payment methods. Be aware that our school makes biannual enrollments, so all students enrol in September for the 1st term (30 ECTS) and in February for the 2nd term (30 ECTS).

If a student has been admitted to the programme and paid the acceptance fee, but cannot attend the master's degree this academic year, what are the options available to avoid losing the money that has already been paid?

Anyone in such a situation may request a placeholder for the following academic year. The academic committee together with the Academic Secretary will study the request. See here how to apply for a reserved place or contact us for more information.